The ancient healing traditions based on spiritual connections.
New to Firefly's Bible series (Ayurveda Bible, Secret Societies Bible) this guide to shamanism is an evocative and detailed journey from its animistic origins in Europe, North America, Siberia and the Arctic 70,000 years ago, to the contemporary rituals practiced today. Illustrated with cultural images, totems and practicing shamans from all cultural settings, The Shamanism Bible reveals the past and explains how this ancient spirituality can empower modern life.
Shaman John Matthews shares his incomparable breadth of knowledge of shamanism and the significance of power animals:
- Shapeshifting -- moving into different states of being
- Healing with spirit guides
- Vision questing - finding guidance in meditation and dream experience
- Working with totems
- Shamanic drumming and trance
The book opens with a survey of the roots of shamanism among the Celtic, Siberian, Norse, Sami and Inuit cultures, as well as in Africa, the Americas, the Far East and the Antipodes. The second chapter, The Shaman's Tools, describes the tools a shaman uses:
- Soul Flights and Journeys (Trances, Dance and Drumming, Singing, Hallucinogens)
- Allies and Helpers (Inner Helpers, Plant Medicine, Totems)
- Magical Costume
- Ritual (Rites of Passage, Healing Work, Medicine, Dreaming)
Millions find the ancient origins and visceral spirituality of shamanism empowering. The Shamanism Bible reveals the history of this intricate belief system and explains how to incorporate it into modern life.